Thursday, September 8, 2011

[Full Dark, No Stars]

Full Dark, No StarsFull Dark, No Stars by Stephen King
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I found every story to be delightfully dark. The collection is definitely not for the faint of heart and should only be read by those who dont mind the macabre, because King writes about it in vivid detail.

My favorite story out of the four included in the hardback was "1922." It's about a man that murders his wife in order to keep her from selling land, which sets off a chain of events that are down right chilling to read. The story is told in first person, which makes everything even more creepy and at times I forgot I was reading fiction and felt like I was reading a murderer's confession. This story alone earned the book 4 stars.

A woman in raped and left for dead in "Big Driver." The plot involves a woman seeking justice, but also involves twists and turns along the way. It was told with a certain amount of believability on the revenge part, since most acts of revenge dont happen like we see in the movies.

"Fair Extension" was one the shortest and most twisted stories out of the collection. A man is dying of cancer and makes a deal with the devil in order to extend his life. The consequences of his deal leads to some of the most appalling events imaginable. Only King's mind could come up with something so twisted.

A woman discovers that the man she has been married to for over 20 years has a deep, dark secret in "The Good Marriage." I found this story to be the most realistic out of the four, and without spoiling any details, it makes one wonder what you would do in her given situation.

I bought the book in paperback, which included a 5th story, "Under The Weather." Even though I predicted the ending before I actually got there, it was a nice addition, but the shortest and weakest of the bunch. A man loves his wife so much that he's lost his sanity and grasp on reality.

Overall, I recommend this collection to anyone that is a fan of the Horror genre, especially to those looking for something perfect for late night reading, which "Full Dark, No Stars" proved to be in my opinion. Just dont read if you're easily squeamish or tend to get nightmares.

No comments:

Post a Comment